September is officially here! Time for us to get back into the swing of routines as we leave memories of our summer holidays behind and get ready to go back to normality. Back to work, back to school, back to the real world. Summer, we miss you already!
This month, before your routines settle fully back into place, we thought that we’d throw a little challenge your way, hopefully introducing some fun new fitness elements into your day-to-day life. It’s recommended that we spend at least 20-30 minutes a day being active, for the sake of our health, and if you’re trying to lose weight then it’s even more important to get your body moving!
You’re too busy you say? No worries, we’ve got you covered. Our plan for this month is to squeeze in short bursts, quick five minute routines, wherever and whenever we can. You’ve definitely got at least five minutes a day spare haven’t you? Maybe even five spare minutes at least four times throughout the day? Good, glad to hear it, no more excuses then, let’s get #FitFor5!
First up, we have some quick tips on how to squeeze that little bit of extra activity into your day:
Top 5 ways to get #FitFor5
1. Go the long way – wherever possible, give yourself a little further to walk each day. Get off the bus a couple of stops earlier, park your car further away from home/work/at the back of the supermarket car park (there’s always spaces there!). Check out more walking for fitness tips.
2. Take the stairs – walk up a few flights instead of taking the lift, and take the stairs even when it doesn’t seem necessary! For example, don’t struggle with your washing towering so far over your head you can’t see (because that’s a bit dangerous anyway), but take two or three trips.
3. Set a timer – you’ll be amazed at how much you can achieve in five minutes! Set your timer on your phone to five minutes and see what you can achieve in that time, whether you’re running, walking, doing star jumps or dashing around the kitchen doing a speed clean (hey, that burns calories too!)
4. Squeeze a work out into the ad break – we’ve written a routine that can be done from the comfort of your sofa, mid Netflix binge or weekly soap catch up.
5. Face-to-face – go and speak to someone in another department rather than send an email, it gets you away from your desk and walking around. It’s recommended you should stand up and move every 20 minutes if you have a desk job!
Throughout the month, we’ll also be dropping surprise #FitFor5 challenges for you on social media, so make sure you’re following us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and get ready for our instructions (and don’t forget to tag your friends).
Why not try this fun five-minute circuit routine? It’s quick and easy to do in the morning while dinner is cooking (while your savoury rice meals are soaking in hot water, etc…)
Easier: 40 seconds per exercise with 20 seconds rest
Advanced: 50 seconds per exercise with 10 seconds rest
Start off following the routine once a day for five minutes, then try and build up as the month progresses to a routine of four sessions per day, for five minutes each. If you can make it to four full rounds, you can give yourself a gold star.
To reward all of your hard work in our get fit mission this month, we are giving away a shiny new NUTRIBULLET to one lucky winner! 10 lucky runners up will receive copies of our newly revamped Showcase Magazine which launches later in September.
All you have to do to win the prize is:
- Each week we’ll post a #FitFor5 challenge for you to take part in
- Share a photo or video of you taking part in the challenge, using the hashtag #FitFor5
- Tag two friends in your post to nominate them to join you
It’s that easy – good luck!