Using grilled aubergine slices instead of burger buns is the latest food trend. They taste delicious and are a fraction of the calories. These succulent chicken burgers are flavoured with Thai spices and served with cooling yoghurt.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 15-30 minutes
Cook Time: 14-16 minutes
Steps: Step 2
500g skinned chicken breast fillets
1 red onion, diced
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
1 stalk lemongrass, peeled and finely sliced
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
A handful of fresh coriander
Flour for dusting
1 large aubergine, cut into 8 thick slices
4 tbsp 0% fat Greek yoghurt
¼ small cucumber, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Crisp salad leaves to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2. Blitz the chicken, red onion, chilli, 2 garlic cloves, ginger, lemongrass, lime zest and coriander in a food processor until well combined. Season lightly with salt and pepper. With lightly floured hands, divide the mixture into 4 equal-sized portions and shape into burgers. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 15–30 minutes to firm them up.
3. Cut the aubergine into 8 slices, about 1cm thick. Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil and spray lightly with oil. Season with a little salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 7–8 minutes, then turn the aubergine slices over and cook for another 7–8 minutes until golden brown and starting to crisp.
4. Meanwhile, cook the burgers in an oiled griddle pan or under a preheated hot grill for about 8 minutes each side, until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
5. Mix together the yoghurt, lime juice, cucumber and the remaining garlic clove. Season to taste.
6. Assemble the sliders: place a baked aubergine slice on each serving plate and top with a chicken burger and a spoonful of the yoghurt mixture. Cover with another aubergine slice and serve immediately with some salad.
- Make a veggie version: instead of making chicken burgers, cook 4 Quorn Quarter Pounder burgers and use to fill the aubergine sliders.
Step it up…
On Steps 3 and 4 add 1 slice grilled Halloumi cheese to each aubergine slider and serve with boiled rice or quinoa (100g dry weight). This will add 5g fat and 1g fibre per serving.
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.