Tuck into this scrummy autumnal meal and enjoy one of life’s best and tastiest simple pleasures… bacon! With a DIY, healthy take on baked beans, it’s practically a naughty English breakfast in disguise (well, not quite, but it’s even yummier, we swear!)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Steps: 3, 4 and 5
2 x 130g sweet potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
A few drops of balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 rashers lean thin-cut back bacon, all visible fat removed
A handful of parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas Mark 5.
2. Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes and place them in a roasting pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. To test whether they are cooked, squeeze them gently.
3. Meanwhile, spray a frying pan lightly with oil and cook the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 6–8 minutes until tender.
4. Add the tomatoes and cannellini beans, and simmer gently for 10–15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add some balsamic and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Dry-fry or grill the bacon rashers until crisp and golden.
6. Cut the sweet potatoes in half and top with the bean and tomato mixture. Crumble the bacon rashers and sprinkle over the top with the parsley.
- You can use any canned beans in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with snipped chives or chopped coriander instead of parsley.
- Instead of bacon, scatter the baked sweet potatoes with 70g grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese.
Download our CWP & Me App for more delicious recipes!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Save & share