Name: Christine Burke
Height: 5ft 7
Start size: 20/22
Current size: 12
For the first time she can remember, Christine Burke has a healthy BMI thanks to following Cambridge Weight Plan achieving a staggering 7st 6lbs weight loss . . .
Trying to lose weight when you have a great social life can be tricky, but Christine Burke has managed to maintain her nights out while still losing weight.
“We socialised a lot but I stuck to the Plan 100% at the start of my weight-loss journey,” she said. “While everyone else had starters and dessert, I didn’t have anything . . . and that was fine; it’s so easy to stick to the Plan.”
Mother-of-two Christine, 54, says she has always been overweight: “I was a fat child, teenager and adult. One particular example is when I was a baby, my mum took me to the clinic and said ‘she doesn’t like milk’. They laughed at her because I was such a bonny baby – I’ve always liked eating the wrong things.
“Carbs are a real danger to me, but I love them and they really have an impact on my weight.”
Christine tried other diets over the years, but never reached her target, steadily and surely her weight increased.
So she decided to visit Cambridge Weight Plan’s, Julia Tait, who is Regional Consultant of the Year, based in Stockport, Cheshire.
“I’ve known Julia for about 10 years now through the PTA and I could see her weight loss being tracked on Facebook,” said Christine, who is married to Paul and has two daughters, Sarah, 25, and Eleanor, 21.
“When I hit 19st 2lbs, I had been working in the contact centre of John Lewis for seven or eight months. I’d started there at 18st but being sat on my backside all day meant the weight was going up. I thought ‘enough is enough’.”
Christine didn’t want to replace every meal with products, so she went on Step 2.
“I liked the fact there was no contracted amount of time I had to follow the Plan; that for me was the appeal,” she said. “And I could see the results quickly, even though I have done this slowly and steadily.
“I had three products a day and something like a chicken salad for dinner.
“I work very long hours and there is a restaurant there, but I have avoided temptation. Having the one-to-one support from Julia has really helped with that.”
The difference losing so much weight has been ‘amazing’ to Christine.
Now she can:
- Go horse riding – “I couldn’t before because there’s a weight limit of 17 stone.”
- Sit anywhere around the pool on holiday: “before I would always sit on the pool steps because I was so self-conscious, particularly about my legs – I’ve now lost 12 inches off each thigh!”
- Sit cross-legged in a plane seat – “before my thighs would touch the person next to me.”
- Wear wellies – “I’ve not worn a pair since I was a child!”
- Go on rides at waterparks – “I’ve walked up steps to a ride with rubber rings before, seen there’s a weight limit and had to walk down the stairs past everyone because I was over the limit.”
The weight lost and/or time frames are particular to this slimmer. Everyone’s weight-loss journey is unique to them.