Celebrate Chinese New Year and welcome in the Year of the Rooster with this quick and easy stir-fry. It’s healthy, spicy and aromatic. This recipe is for Step 2 but can easily be stepped up for 3, 4 and 5, check out the tips below!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Steps: 2 (step up options below)
200g lean rump or sirloin steak, all visible fat removed
1cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Grated zest of 1 lime
1 tbsp soy sauce
6 spring onions, sliced diagonally
1 green or red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
150g thin green beans, trimmed and halved
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pak choi
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
1 red chilli, deseeded and shredded
1. Cut the steak into thin strips and place in a bowl with the ginger, garlic, lime zest and soy sauce. Stir well to coat the steak and set aside to marinate for 10–15 minutes.
2. Cut the pak choi in half lengthways, and then cut each half into chunky wedges. Cook them in a steamer (or colander) over a pan of boiling water for 4–5 minutes until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, lightly spray a large frying pan or wok with oil and place over a medium to high heat. Add the steak to the hot pan (reserving the marinade) and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the spring onions, pepper and beans and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes. Stir in the reserved marinade and cook for 1 minute.
4. Lightly spray a small frying pan with oil and place over a high heat. When it’s smoking hot, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes until the garlic is crispy and golden but not browned.
5. Transfer the stir-fried steak to 2 warm serving plates. Serve immediately with the steamed pak choi topped with the crispy ginger mixture.
- You can enjoy this delicious stir-fry on Steps 3, 4 and 5 by adding 250g straight to wok noodles with the marinade. Cook for 1–2 minutes and serve.
- Instead of steak use 200g tofu, cut into cubes. Marinate in the same way and then stir-fry with the vegetables. The calories will remain the same but the fat will increase to 6.5g per serving.
Download our CWP & Me App for more delicious recipes!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Save & Share