A savoury roulade looks fabulous and is so light and delicious, especially at Christmas when there is so much temptation. The chestnuts add a festive touch to the creamy filling.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus cooling
Cook Time: 20 minutes
450g fresh spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
4 medium free-range eggs, separated
200g extra light soft cheese or Quark
50g vacuum-packed chestnuts, finely chopped
A bunch of chives, snipped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
A handful of parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Line a 30 x 25cm Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5.
2. Put the wet spinach in a saucepan and cook, covered, over a low heat for 2–3 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the leaves turn bright green. Drain in a colander and press out any excess moisture with a saucer. Chop finely, transfer to a bowl and mix with the nutmeg, Parmesan, seasoning and egg yolks.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until really stiff. Fold them gently with a metal spoon into the spinach mixture, using a figure-of-eight motion. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
4. Meanwhile, make the sauce: spray a frying pan with oil and cook the onion, garlic and mushrooms over a medium heat for 8–10 minutes, until tender and golden. Off the heat, stir in the yogurt and parsley, and season to taste.
5. Turn out the roulade onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and remove the lining paper. Cover with non-stick paper and roll up, starting from one of the short ends.
6. Mix the soft cheese or Quark with the chestnuts, chives and lemon zest. Unroll the roulade and spread with the cheesy mixture. Reroll, cut into slices, and serve with the mushroom sauce.
Tip: You can buy packets of vacuum-packed chestnuts in most supermarkets.
We have more delicious recipes for you to try here!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.