This week is Random Acts of Kindness Week so it’s time to throw kindness around like confetti and brighten up the days of strangers, those around you and just about anyone you feel like sprinkling some sunshine upon!
Need some kindness inspiration? We’ve put together a fun list of ways you can truly bring a bit of joy to others.
2. Pay it forward, pay for the person behind you in the coffee shop when you pay your bill too. Or ask if your local coffee shop has a ‘pending cups’ system where homeless or needy people can come in for a prepaid hot drink or meal.
3. Add extra items to your trolley and take to a local foodbank.
4. Leave notes on mirrors at home, work, gym or public bathrooms with words of encouragement ‘you’re awesome’, ‘you’ve got this’, ‘you’re beautiful’ – imagine how uplifted you’d feel by a surprise message like this.
5. Write a letter or an email to an old teacher or colleague who made a difference in your life.
6. Speak to someone who might be lonely; a new mum on the playground, a colleague who has just moved to the area, offer to show them around or take them for a coffee and impart some local knowledge.
7. Smile at strangers, just because.
8. Give someone a book you think they’d like.
9. Call a family member for a catch up, especially the elderly ones.
10. Better yet, volunteer a few hours at a local care home, listen to their stories, so many never get any visitors.
11. Stop and speak to a homeless person, it can be lonely out there on the streets. See if there’s anything, however small, you could do for them.
12. Keep it tidy, pick up any litter you may pass on the street.
13. Send flowers to someone who deserves them.
14. Offer to babysit for a friend, they may to too worried about inconveniencing people to ask for a much needed break.
15. Help anyone you see struggling with heavy bags or a pushchair on steps.
16. Every night before you go to bed, think of three things you’re grateful for. If you’re grateful for a particular person let them know, and tell them why!
17. Offer to return a trolley for someone loading their shopping into their car.
18. If you see someone struggling for change, offer yours.
19. Give someone your parking ticket if there’s still time on there.
20. Compliment a stranger.
Have fun spreading a little happiness wherever you go this week (why not try and do an ‘RAK’ every week, just because!)
Share some of your ideas below, or tell us about any acts of kindness you have performed, this week or any other time in the comments section…