Quinoa is a ‘super food’ – gluten-free and full of protein and dietary fibre. It fills you up so you don’t feel hungry. The mashed sweet potato gives sweetness to these healthy veggie burgers while the salsa adds a sharp citrusy flavour. You can make them in advance and even chill them overnight before cooking them.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Steps: 3 and 4
1 x 200g sweet potato, scrubbed
60g quinoa (dry weight)
2 spring onions, diced
1 courgette, coarsely grated
100g chopped spinach
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp flour plus extra for dusting
A good squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 x 45g wholemeal rolls
A small handful of salad leaves, e.g. lettuce or rocket
4 radishes sliced
For the lime and coconut salsa:
Grated zest and diced juicy flesh of 1 lime
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
A handful of coriander (cilantro), chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6 and bake the sweet potato for about 45 minutes until tender. When it’s cool enough to handle, remove the skin and mash the flesh in a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Remove from the heat, cover the pan with a lid and set aside for 10 minutes before fluffing up with a fork.
3. Lightly spray a saucepan with oil and cook the spring onions and courgette over a low heat for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and chilli flakes and cook for 2–3 minutes until softened.
4. Stir the quinoa and cooked vegetables into the sweet potato and bind the mixture together with the flour. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. The mixture should be moist but not too soft.
5. Divide into 2 equal-sized portions and use your hands to mould each one into a burger. Cover in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 45 minutes to firm them up.
6. Make the lime and coconut salsa: mix the ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
7. Just before cooking, dust the burgers with flour. Lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Cook the burgers for 2–3 minutes each side until golden brown, turning them over carefully with a spatula so they don’t fall apart.
8. Serve in the wholemeal rolls with salad leaves and sliced radishes topped with the lime and coconut salsa.
Step it up…
To eat this for dinner on Step 5, add 60g diced reduced-fat feta to the sweet potato and quinoa mixture before cooking and serve the burgers in 2 x 60g seeded burger buns (instead of the rolls).
Download our CWP & Me App for more delicious recipes!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Save & share