Who needs takeaways when it’s so easy to cook the food from scratch at home? This is a great fakeaway recipe that you must try! A similar-sized portion from a fast food outlet or restaurant would be approximately 800 calories – double our healthy version and much higher in fat. You can make the coleslaw the day before and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
Steps: 3 and 4
300g sweet potatoes
1 tbsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
A few sprigs of rosemary and thyme
1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 125g skinned and boned chicken breasts
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the coleslaw:
100g white (or mixed red and white) cabbage, thinly shredded
2 carrots, grated
4 spring onions, chopped
1 red apple, cored and diced
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
4 tbsp chopped parsley
3 tbsp lighter than light mayonnaise
Juice of ½ small lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2. Scrub the sweet potatoes (don’t peel them) and cut into wedges. Spray them lightly with oil and sprinkle the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder and plenty of black pepper over the top.
3. Put the sweet potatoes in a roasting pan and scatter the rosemary and thyme over them. Add a few sea salt crystals and bake in the preheated oven for 25–35 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, make the coleslaw: mix together the cabbage, carrots, spring onions, apple, walnuts and parsley. Gently stir in the mayonnaise and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Mix together the hot chilli sauce, lemon zest and juice and garlic in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts and turn them in the marinade until they are coated all over.
6. Lightly spray a griddle pan or non-stick frying pan and cook the chicken over a medium to high heat for about 15 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and cooked right through.
7. Serve the peri-peri chicken with the hot sweet potato wedges and the coleslaw.
Step it up…
If you want to enjoy this on Step 5, use 400g sweet potatoes and add 2 teaspoons of mixed seeds (e.g. sunflower, pumpkin, flaxseed) to the coleslaw to make it more crunchy.
We have more delicious recipes for you to try here!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.