Nachos can be horrendously high in calories when they are piled up on a plate with melted cheese, guacamole and soured cream. We’ve made a lighter version by using cool tortilla chips (and less of them!) and topping them with a tasty low-fat chilli and reduced-fat cheese. This recipe serves 4 people so it’s ideal for entertaining and parties.
Prep Time: 15 miuntes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Steps: 3 and 4
100g low-calorie cool tortilla chips
100g grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
A handful of coriander, chopped
1 red or green chilli, thinly sliced
4 stoned black olives, thinly sliced
4 tbsp 0% fat Greek yoghurt
For the spicy beef chilli:
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red chillies, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
300g extra lean minced beef (5% fat max)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 x 200g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
300ml beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Make the spicy beef chilli: lightly spray a saucepan with oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add the chilli and ground spices and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the minced beef and cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring, until browned. Stir in the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and stock, and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15–20 minutes until everything is cooked and the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Heat an overhead grill on the highest setting. Spread out the tortilla chips on a baking tray and sprinkle with three-quarters of the grated Cheddar. Spoon the spicy beef chilli over the top, leaving gaps to expose some of the tortilla chips. Sprinkle with the sliced chilli, black olives and the rest of the cheese.
5. Cook under the hot grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melting, golden and bubbling.
6. Divide between 4 serving plates and serve with the chopped coriander and a spoonful of yoghurt.
Step it up…
For a 500kcals supper serve each portion with 2 tablespoons guacamole and 4 tbsp hot salsa.
We have more delicious recipes for you to try here!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.