Mama Mia! Delicious, saucy and a little bit spicy meatballs and spaghetti, this recipe is almost too good to be true for those of you on Steps 3, 4 and 5 – what a treat this dinner is!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Steps: 3, 4 and 5
250g extra lean minced beef (max. 5% fat)
1 small onion, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
A handful of parsley, chopped
2 tbsp beaten egg
60g wholemeal spaghetti or noodles (dry weight)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil leaves to garnish (optional)
Tomato chilli sauce:
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
A few sprigs of basil, torn
A few drops of balsamic vinegar
1. Make the meatballs: put the minced beef, onion, garlic, parsley and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Add the beaten egg – just enough to bind the mixture together.
2. Divide the mixture into 8 portions and roll each one into a ball.
3. Place the meatballs under a preheated hot grill and cook for 8–10 minutes, turning them occasionally, until starting to brown all over.
4. Meanwhile, make the tomato chilli sauce: spray a large deep frying pan lightly with oil and place over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 5–6 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden. Add the chilli and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes.
5. Add the meatballs to the pan, cover and simmer over a low heat for about 10–15 minutes, until the sauce reduces and thickens and the meatballs are cooked. If it reduces too quickly, just add a little water to thin it down. Stir in the basil and balsamic vinegar.
6. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain well.
7. Divide the pasta between 2 serving plates and spoon the sauce and meatballs over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan and basil (if using) and serve immediately.
- If you like fiery hot food, add a diced chilli to the meatballs, or leave the seeds in the chilli you add to the sauce.
- Serve with rice instead of pasta. Use the same dried weight and the calories will stay the same.
Download our CWP & Me App for more delicious recipes!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Save & share