Funky tacos and beetroot rice are the new food trends for 2017. It’s low-fat, gluten-free and tastes delicious tossed in a fruity dressing. Some supermarkets even sell it in ready-prepared packs to save you blitzing the beetroot yourself.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Steps: 3 and 4
400g raw large prawns
Juice of 1 lime
1 red chilli, diced
2 red or yellow peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
200g baby leaf spinach
4 large low-fat tortilla wraps
A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
100g reduced-fat tomato salsa
80g reduced-fat guacamole
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 raw beetroot, peeled and diced
1 tsp cumin seeds
A handful of dill or mint, chopped
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
60g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
2 tsp toasted pine nuts
1. Put the prawns in a bowl with the lime juice and chilli. Stir well and season with black pepper. Set aside to marinate.
2. Make the beetroot rice: pulse the beetroot in a food processor or blender until it resembles small rice grains. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cumin seeds and most of the chopped herbs. Blend the orange juice and vinegar and gently toss the beetroot. Crumble the feta over the top and sprinkle with pine nuts.
3. Lightly spray a large griddle pan with oil and place over a medium heat. Cook the peppers and red onion, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to char. Add the garlic and spinach and cook for 2 minutes until the spinach wilts and turns bright green. Remove the vegetables from the pan and keep warm.
4. Add the marinated prawns to the hot pan and cook for 2–3 minutes, turning occasionally, until pink on both sides. Remove immediately.
5. Heat the tortilla wraps in the griddle pan or in a low oven. Divide the vegetable mixture and prawns between them and sprinkle with the coriander. Fold one side of each wrap over the filling to make the tacos and place one on each serving plate.
6. Serve immediately with the beetroot rice and let everyone help themselves to the salsa and guacamole.
Step it up…
On Step 5, stir the drained contents of a 400g can black beans into the griddled vegetables before piling onto the tortilla wraps. This will add 2g fibre per serving.
Download our CWP & Me App for more delicious recipes!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Save & share