The perfect way to use up any turkey leftovers from Christmas Day, make a hearty dinner and stay on plan! Ideal for Boxing Day lunch.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Steps: 3, 4 and 5
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium leeks, washed, trimmed and sliced
200g leftover cooked turkey, skinned and cut into chunks
80g cooked boiled ham, diced (all visible fat removed)
A handful of parsley, chopped
250g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tbsp skimmed milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp cornflour
150ml skimmed milk
85g virtually fat-free natural fromage frais
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
2. Lightly spray a saucepan with oil and cook the onion and leeks over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes until tender.
3. Stir in the turkey, ham and parsley, then remove from the heat.
4. Make the white sauce: blend the cornflour with a little of the cold milk. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan and when it starts to boil, stir in the cornflour mixture with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, until the sauce thickens and is smooth.
5. Remove from the heat and beat in the fromage frais, nutmeg and seasoning.
6. Pour the sauce over the turkey, ham and leek mixture and transfer to a baking dish or 2 individual ceramic dishes.
7. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until just tender. Drain well, then return to the warm pan and mash with the skimmed milk. Season to taste.
8. Spoon the mashed potato over the turkey mixture and rough up the top with a fork.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- You could use mashed swede instead of potato to cover the pie or mix the two together if you have some leftover cooked swede from the Christmas lunch.
- Substitute mushrooms for the leeks, or cold cooked chicken for the turkey.