We all love eating chestnuts, dried fruits and Stilton at Christmas, and these pretty parcels combine all three. Serve them drizzled with cranberry sauce for even more festive flavour.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Steps: 3 and 4
270g pack filo pastry sheets
450g Brussels sprouts, trimmed (or broccoli florets)
4 tsp cranberry sauce
Chestnut and apricot filling:
4 shallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
75g ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
75g vacuum-packed chestnuts, chopped
A few fresh sage leaves, chopped
50g blue Stilton cheese, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Make the filling: lightly spray a frying pan with oil and cook the shallots, garlic and squash, stirring occasionally, over a low heat for 12–15 minutes, until soft. Off the heat, stir in the apricots, chestnuts, sage and Stilton. Season to taste.
3. Cut one filo pastry sheet in half and then in half again, so you have 4 roughly square pieces. Lay 3 pieces on top of each other and lightly spray with oil. Put one-eighth of the filling mixture in the centre and pull up the edges of the pastry around it to make a ‘money purse’ shape, twisting the top to seal. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
4. Place the parcels on the lined baking sheet and lightly spray them with oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, cook the sprouts or broccoli in a pan of boiling lightly salted water until just tender but not mushy. Drain well.
6. Drizzle a little cranberry sauce over the parcels and serve them with the Brussels sprouts or broccoli.
Tip: While you’re assembling the filo parcels, keep any pastry you’re not working with covered with a clean damp tea towel to prevent it drying out.
Step it up…
To enjoy this delicious recipe on Step 5, serve with braised red cabbage (100g per serving). If you don’t want to cook it yourself, you can buy it readymade – fresh or frozen – in the supermarket.
We have more delicious recipes for you to try here!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.