This is such a simple supper and by cooking everything in one pan there’s hardly any washing up. Vegetarians can substitute three 50g Quorn sausages per serving and use vegetable stock.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40–50 minutes
Steps: 3, 4 and 5
4 x 57g reduced-fat sausages
1 red onion, cut into wedges
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 courgette, cut into chunks
300g parsnips, halved or quartered
160g cherry tomatoes
4 unpeeled garlic cloves
100ml chicken stock
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
A few sprigs of parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Balsamic glaze for drizzling (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5.
2. Lightly spray a roasting pan with oil and place on the hob over a medium heat. Add the sausages and cook for 8–10 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned all over.
3. Remove from the heat and add the red onion, peppers, courgette, parsnips and tomatoes. Stick the garlic cloves in the gaps between them. Pour the stock and balsamic vinegar over the top and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30–40 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
5. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins over the top and sprinkle with plenty of chopped parsley before serving. If wished, drizzle with some balsamic glaze.
- You can vary the vegetables according to what you have lurking in your fridge. Aubergine, green pepper, white onions, fennel bulb, mushrooms and carrots all work well.
- Use sweet potato wedges instead of parsnips. You will need 220g in total for the calories to say the same.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with some stripped thyme and rosemary leaves before baking.
- Try serving this with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce instead of the balsamic glaze.