We have breakfast covered. These yummy baked tomatoes are a really healthy way to start the day. And they pack a big protein and vitamin punch. If preferred you could substitute large Portobello or field mushrooms or even hollowed out red peppers for the tomatoes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Steps: 2 and above
4 large beef tomatoes
4 small eggs
A few chives, snipped
200g canned chopped tomatoes with herbs
Snipped chives for sprinkling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
2. Cut the top off each tomato to use as a ‘lid’. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the insides of the tomatoes, including the seeds, and set aside. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
3. Break an egg carefully into each scooped-out tomato and sprinkle with chives.
4. Put the tomato pulp and seeds plus the canned tomatoes in a shallow baking dish and place the filled tomatoes on top. Top with the lids at a rakish angle (not covering the eggs inside) and spray lightly with oil.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender and the eggs are set. Serve immediately, sprinkled with chives.
We have more delicious recipes for you to try here!