Dear Step 2 slimmers. Are you desperate for something warm, comforting and hearty in your tummy? This dish is perfect for warming you up as the temperatures drop and the darker nights start drawing in. Serve up a bowl and snuggle on the sofa with a blanket and enjoy this delicious stew (and maybe a Halloween movie or two…?)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
200g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
200g thick slice topside, all visible fat removed, cubed
500ml Cambridge Weight Plan Golden Vegetable Drink or beef stock
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
Peeled rind of 1 orange
A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, Gas Mark 3.
2. Lightly spray a large flameproof casserole with oil and place over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot and pumpkin and cook for 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove the vegetables and set aside.
3. Add the meat to the casserole and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned all over.
4. Add the stock, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and return the vegetables to the casserole together with the chopped tomatoes, orange peel, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf.
5. Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced.
6. Discard the bay leaf and strip of orange peel, and season to taste. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
- For a more intense flavour, stir in a little balsamic vinegar or soy sauce instead of the Worcestershire sauce.
- Substitute butternut squash or swede for the pumpkin.
Download our CWP & Me App for more delicious recipes!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Save & share